Was Price is a functionality created by the development team. It allows you to display a higher price that is marked out, while showing the current price below. This is a useful feature for customer communications, letting them know a product is currently cheaper than normal.
Was Price - Displays the price differently than normal. It will mark out the retail price, and display the sale price below it. Used with the $$WASPRICE$$ and ##WASPRICE## merge codes.
Conditions For Was Price
Several things must be in place before was price for a product will display:
- The $$WASPRICE$$ merge code must be in the page's HTML. This will work on both product and category pages.
- The product must have a price entered into the base price field. Set this in Catalog > Products > Edit Product > Pricing.
- A sale price with a beginning and end date must be setup in in the advanced pricing matrix.
The $$WASPRICE$$ merge is already in the default themes. However, this document will have information for theme designers building the theme from the scratch.
Note: Was price is not designed to function with products with variants/options or grouped products. It will not display on these types of products.
Using Was Price
- This page uses the $$WASPRICE$$ merge code. It needs to be located inside the <ac:visibilityarea id="PricingArea"> tag.
Category Page & Catalog Search
- Uses the $$WASPRICE$$ merge code. It needs to be located inside the <ac:visibilityarea id="ltrWasPrice"> tag.
Product Display Widget
- Uses the ##WASPRICE## merge code. This only generates the numerical price. Needs to be located inside the <ac:layoutarea id="Item"> tag.
Troubleshooting Steps for Was Price not displaying
- Check that the $$WASPRICE$$ merge code is in the page’s HTML. If displaying was price in a widget, make sure the ##WASPRICE## merge code is in the widget’s HTML.
- Make sure the product does not have any variants and is not part of a product group. The was price merge code will not work for these types of products
- Make sure there is a sale price with a beginning and end date set in product’s advanced pricing matrix in Catalog > Products > Edit Product > Pricing.
- Check that a base price is set in Catalog > Products > Edit Product > Pricing.