Products can be added to the store in multiple ways:
- Product Editor
- Cloning an existing product
- Import products (Learn More)
Browse to Catalog > Products
Quick Product Entry offers a very simple way of adding new products to your store. You input certain minimum details and you are ready to go. If you need to add more details and adjust product attributes or include variants then the Advanced Product editor is best.
On this screen you only need to fill in those fields that are required.
To add a new product, simply click to get started.
- This is the product name as it will be displayed on the website.
- To help with search engine optimization, the product name is also used in the product page URL, and it helps generate default meta tags (keywords and descriptions) if custom data has not been entered.
- Your internal item number to idenfity this product.
- This will be used for inventory control and as the base number from which Variants build their item numbers. A synonym for Item Number is "SKU", which stands for "Stock Keeping Unit."
- If you do not have any SKU handy or your product simply does not have any such information then you can generate any unique number on your own.
- Select the main category for this product from the drop down menu or enter a new category name in the space provided.
If you enter a new category name then it will be created at the root level. Alternately, you can create your category/sub-category structure before you start to setup products.
If you want your product to appear in more than one category you can add additional categories with the advanced product editor later. With the Quick Product Editor you can only associate the product with 1 category.
Manufacturer / Brand
- Enter a new manufacturer name or select one from the drop down list. New manufacturers will automatically be added to the existing list.
- Product statuses affect if a customer can order a product or not based on if it is available to be shipped. Typically new products are added with the status In Stock.
- Checking the box will hide the product.
- Includes this product in the Featured Products list. When you add the Featured Products Snap-In to your pages this product will be shown there.
- This is the price of the product as it will be displayed to your customers.
- If you enter a retail price then both prices will be displayed with the Price struck out and the retail price highlighted. You will also need to check the box for "Enable Minimum Advertised Price" under Catalog>Products>Pricing.
Refer to our Price and Advanced Pricing article for more information.
An easy to use interface to quickly add your photos. You can click the button, or simply drag and drop the picture from the folder it is located on your pc.
The descriptions tab has 7 sections within it:
- Bullets - Key points to add about the product
- Description- The description of the product.
- Specifications - The main specifications and important information about the product.
Ex: Weight, Dimensions, Extra information specific to this product.
- Additional Information
- Other Resources
- What's in the Box
- Tab Settings
The Bullets field is typically used to hold a descriptive summary of the product. This can be a bulleted list or a paragraph. By defualt, it appears on the product details page near the product photo, outisde the tabs area.
The Long Description The next 5 fields are usually used as the source content for the product details tabs. They can also be put outisde of the tabs via merge codes. Only tabs with content will be visible on the product details page.
All tab names are labeled as relevant topics for your products by default. This can be set on individual products, or globally on the Product Details page HTML Editor.
You can take a look at our How do I globally Change the product description tab names KB for more information.
Here is an example of how to use these fields:
Q. What is a cloned product?
A. A cloned product is a new hidden copy of an existing product where most of the major data has been duplicated with the exception of the custom URL.
To create a cloned product you need to navigate to the product listed in the product list. And click the clone button which will clone the product and then allow you to open the product for editing.
Why Aren't My Products Showing Up?
If you are having issues seeing your products on your website, their are a couple reasons why that may happen. The product, category, or active catalog could be hidden, or the product could be inactivated by Customer Types.
The product could be hidden
- If you’re only missing one or two products, its most likely the product is hidden. To check this, first click Catalog on the left side of the page, and then choose products.
- Here you’ll see a list of your products. Click the edit button for the item that is not showing up.
- On the product edit page, make sure "Hide Product" is unchecked.
The category could be hidden
- If the category is hidden, not only will you not see your product, but you won’t see any product in that category. To make sure the category isn’t hidden, you need to click Catalog on the left side of the page, and then choose categories.
- Now choose edit on the category that is not showing.
- Now you’ll want to make sure Hide Category is unchecked, and Display Category Contents is checked on.
The active catalog is hidden
- If the active catalog is hidden, you won’t be able to see any of your products. To fix this, you’ll want to open your settings. Then choose Catalog, and under that choose Active Catalog. From here, make sure the “Show All Catalog” box is checked on.
The products are inactivated by customer types
You can inactivate the Product for specific stores or customer types by going to Catalog > Products > Edit Product > Stores.